Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Microsoft High Priority Patch!?

I've been tinkering with the IE7 beta 2 preview again and I have my homepage set to update.microsoft.com as an added measure to make sure that I'm always up-to-date on patches. I also use Windows Update to automatically download and install patches. However, from time-to-time I find that I'm missing a patch that Windows Update missed.

Today Microsoft informed me of a "High Priority Update" that I'll be sure to install:
The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of windows.
Gee, thanks Microsoft!

Actually, in all seriousness it is quite a good idea to use the a licensed copy of Windows these days because many of Microsoft's security features like Windows and Office Update and the Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer require the validation check. I guess there isn't much difference between the validation check and installing this new "update" so I'm going to go ahead and put it on my desktop because if "virtually" licensed software some how gets installed in the future Microsoft will be able to tell how I can pay for it. :)

1 Comments:

At June 14, 2006 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use Update as well. However, when manually updating yesterday, I found I was missing about 8 other patches. Made me a little annoyed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger