Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Top 10 VC Bloggers

There are a ton of VCs on the web and as an entrepreneur I try to read all of them. However, a handful of VCs really have outstanding blogs that I'd like to praise and highlight as some of the better writers do seem to fly under the blogshpere's radar. All of these VCs post regularly with very insightful thoughts on startup issues and raising capital. Some are new, some are old. Some are gaining momentum and others are loosing it, but if I could only follow 10 VCs' blogs these are what I'd choose today. Keeping track of these 10 blogs is definitely a well invested 20 minutes each day for any entrepreneur.

6/26/06 UPDATE: Here is a list of all 65 VC blogs that I read

So with out further delay, here are my favorite VC's blogging on the web:

1) Brad Feld - Mobius Ventures
Brad Feld is the king of VC blogging. He is both prolific and insightful, which is a rare combination.

2) Jeff Nolan - formerly of SAP Ventures
Jeff Nolan is a really interesting read who writes about enterprise software, web 2.0 and the nexus of the two sectors.

3) Will Price - Hummer Winblad
Will Price is without question the most underrated VC blogger in the blogsphere. There is no fluff in his blog at all, every single post he writes offers entrepreneurs astute advice. If Will posted a little bit more often he would seriously challenge Brad Feld's monarchy.

4) Peter Rip - Leapfrog Ventures
Another incredibly insightful VC blogger, I only wish he would post more often. Peter is sometimes a bit vague but he is a must read for early-stage entrepreneurs.

5) David Cowan - Bessemer Venture Partners
David Cowan is a fun and informative read. He doesn't provide the same level of detail that Will Price or Brad Feld do, but his sardonic wit is always entertaining.

6) Tom Sheilds - Woodside Fund
I just recently discovered Tom's blog. I've only met Tom once, but he is an interesting and knowledgeable person, which really comes through in his blog.

7) Jeff Clavier - Angel Investor / SoftTech VC
Jeff is another must for early-stage entrepreneurs... and as of the time of writing he seems to be on an angel investing rampage!

8) Matt McCall - DFJ Portage Venture Partners
Doesn't post as much advice for entrepreneurs as other VCs on this list but he writes frequently about technology issues and always has something interesting to say.

9) Tim Oren - Pacifica Fund
If I were writing this post earlier in the year Tim Oren would have easily taken 2nd place on my list. Yet, his posting has slowed to a crawl over the last couple of monthsn and has been reduced to "roaming eye" posts (his favorite links) and more recently "archival" posts. Mr. Oren has recently written that he is in the process of transforming his blog so I will cut him some slack. However, his inclusion in this list is largely due to his backlog, which is packed with so many insightful posts that he will probably remain an must read through 2008 without ever having to post again.

10) Guy Kawasaki - Garage Technology Ventures
Like most entrepreneurs, I have a small man-crush on Guy Kawasaki. He is a fantastically entertaining speaker who manages to interject a fair amount of insight in between his jokes. Mr. Kawasaki jumped out of the gates like a lighting bolt when he started his blog late last year. However, his post cadence and quality seems to be waning now that he is running out of existing material from his previous books and speeches. That said, every entrepreneur should either a) read The Art of the Start or b) read Guy's first 3 months of blogging before even considering speaking with an investor. Guy is currently going through the blogging equivalent of baseball's sophomore slump but I'm confident that he'll find his groove again shortly.

So while this represents my favorite VC bloggers, there are many many others worth reading and I'm definitely curious to hear who else other people enjoy. So please drop me a line and let me know who you think I've missed because I'm especially interested in learning about lesser-known VC blogs.

11 Comments:

At June 22, 2006 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew:

Thanks for the comment. Just to answer two of your observations, both of which hit home on issues I wrestle with. I try to post only when I have something to say. You'll notice that I have very few links in my posts. It's because I try to focus on orignal thought, not conversation about conversations. It's just a style thing.

On the vagueness, yes, I also wrestle with transparency and insight. In my business we traffic in ideas. Every now ande then I see enough to go "aha, there'sa pattern." I want to share enough of the pattern to entice the reader, but not some much as to inform my competitors -- other VCs. I think everyone knows that the #1 readers of any form of communication is the loyal competition. So, whenever someone has a question, I try to answer it offline in email, once I know who I am talking to.

Again, thanks for reading (and writing).

 
At June 22, 2006 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are two I would add to your list. The first is Rick Segal (http://ricksegal.typepad.com/pmv/) -- Canadian VC who writes very matter-of-factly and has interesting things to say. Second probably doesn't warrant a top 10 but is very entertaining in a swedish chef kind of way -- Morten Lund, early investor in Skype (http://mortenlund.blogspot.com/).

 
At June 23, 2006 12:11 AM, Blogger Andrew Fife said...

Anonymous:
yeah, I read Rick Segal also and he is good. Thanks very much for the Morten Lund tip, I checked out his blog earlier this evening and I'm excited to read another infosec entrepreneurs perspective.
-Andrew

 
At June 23, 2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew> Thanks for the mention. I would add to the list (which therefore will go beyond 10) Brad Feld, Ed Sim and Bill Burnham. Just check out my Top VC blog list on Software Only.

Also re the angel investments rampage: as I explained, these deals had been progressing on their own pace for a few weeks, and it just so happens that the 4 of them closed last week. Hence the "machine gun" appearance :-).

 
At June 23, 2006 4:02 PM, Blogger Andrew Fife said...

Jeff:
no need to apologize for making lots of angel investments... please keep it up! :) Congrats and good luck on all of your recently closed deals.
-Andrew

 
At June 25, 2006 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, Great list!

The first blog I read everyday --and read daily, 7 days a week-- is Fred Wilson, from Union Square Ventures and FlatIron Partners. He is a fabulous and insanely frequent blogger, for readers of all stripes. Check him out at: http://avc.blogs.com/a_vc/

 
At June 28, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Andrew - thanks for the write up. Enjoy the 4th. Will

 
At July 04, 2007 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These comments have been invaluable to me as is this whole site. I thank you for your comment.

 
At April 25, 2008 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to post this list.

 
At November 17, 2008 6:22 PM, Blogger Watch Eastbound & Down Free said...

Awesome list of resources man thanks. This should keep me busy for a couple days..

 
At January 05, 2009 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting together such a great list of VC's. The information is very useful and informative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger