Monday, June 26, 2006

Top VC Firms Not Blogging

In putting my list of 65 VC bloggers together I noticed that the most famous venture firms seem to be very under represented. Off the top of my head, Kleiner Perkins, Sequoia Captial, Accel Partners, Benchmark Capital, Menlo Ventures and Mayfield Fund are the most famous VC firms. Of these firms, I'm only aware of Rajil Kapoor (#26) and Allen Morgen (#31) of Mayfield who are bloging but between them they've only written 4 postings so far this year. [UPDATE: I forgot that Bill Gurley (#57) of Benchmark also writes a blog but he has only posted twice this year] I suspect this is because many VCs are at least partially motivated to write in order to raise their profiles and get better access to quality dealflow. The top firms usually have the best access to dealflow and thus one of the benefits of blogging may be less tangible to their partners and associates. However, if the pool of firms was expanded to say the top 25 most famous VCs a handful of counter examples could be found. I really don't want to get into a debate about whether or not XYZ VC firm is one the top 25 most famous so I'm not going to site any other blogs specifically but I don't believe there are enough to discredit this trend.

2 Comments:

At June 26, 2006 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...VCs are at least partially motivated to write in order to raise their profiles...


Is not the only purpose of your blog to raise your profile?

 
At June 26, 2006 5:03 PM, Blogger Andrew Fife said...

Anonymous:
Nope. I blog for many reasons. Here are some of them:

1)I enjoy writing
2)I like helping people (hopefully my advice is helpful)
3)Writing helps me refine my own thoughts
4)Blogging encourages me to learn more about technology
-Andrew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger